Monday, September 16, 2013

It's a "Go" for Student Blogging!

I finally asked my principal and assistant principal last week if I could implement student blogs with my kiddos once a week.  They were both super excited about the idea and thought it would be a great way of integrating technology into my students' school day. 

Before even thinking of introducing blogs to my students, I worried about how the new Smarter Balanced Assessment would work, particularly because it is all computer-based.  Many of my students are lacking in the area of computer skills, even when it comes to knowing how to hold the mouse and clicking. 

With the implementation of student blogs, I hope to make them excited about writing, while also enhancing their computer skills.

Now let's hope the parents are on board!

7 comments:

  1. I'm also facing the same concern with my students and the Smarter Balanced Assessment. So many of my fifth grade students are lacking proficient typing skills. This year we are having them practice Type to Learn both in school and at home. I'm also thinking of using my student blogs as another opportunity for students to practice their typing skills. What website are you going to be using for the blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear how it works out. I think it is great that you're tying in computer skills practice... great extension of the actual blog assignment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another teacher in my spring class was in a similar situation, and slowly her students adjusted. She used KidBlog, which is easier for a teacher to manage than other platforms. You will enter the students, let them pick a password or give them one if you think it is easier, and will approve what they post before it goes online. You might start by using what is called paper blogging. There was some information about that in the article I included in the homework; think it was session 2. Teachers like to start students initially with paper blogging. I think I have something from Pernille Ripp on a blog post that might not yet be public, but will post this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to mention--for those who don't have keyboarding skills, they won't get the skills if they don't have an opportunity to practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this is a wonderful way to integrate writing into a high-interest learning environment. I also love the thought of all of the "global connections" that your students will make once they reach out and begin blogging on a regular basis. Do you plan on having blogging partners from around the world (similar to what we have in class)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great news! I think the blogging will be a great way for students to be more comfortable with computer use. Many students lack typing and navigation skills on the computer, so, once the Smarter Balanced assessment takes the place of CMT's in a year or two, your students will have the knowledge and feel comfortable with using this technology piece. I hope the parents agree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often worry about my class receiving the necessary computer time to be able to type and navigate properly. I have been giving a lot of typing and research assignments for homework this year. I know it isn't a perfect solution, but my school simply doesn't have enough computers for my class to get adequate practice at school.

    ReplyDelete