Monday, September 23, 2013

Digital Storytelling: Inferring through Riddles

"Reading between the lines" is a hard concept for my K to 3rd grade students to understand.  Often, children with Autism demonstrate a strong understanding of concrete information, in other words, they are more accurate when answering "right there/in the book" questions.

Since my students struggle with combining what the author has written with their own experiences to draw conclusions, I figured inferring through solving riddles would be the most engaging method of teaching this skill to them.

For my digital storytelling project, I am going to provide students with 2-3 riddles each that they will be responsible for solving and illustrating.  I am still thinking about the idea of recording their voices for narrating their assigned riddles.  Not sure how that will go with my kiddos.

I'm planning on using this fun game once we review how readers make inferences while they read.  Click on the Jeopardy board below to check it out!

Context CluesSetting (When or Where)Character's Feelings or TraitsJob RiddlesAnimal Riddles
1010101010
2020202020
3030303030
4040404040
5050505050
Final Question

3 comments:

  1. I love the Jeopardy game strategy for teaching inferences! It is such a difficult skill for many of our students to learn, so hopefully this will engage them more in the lesson. Let me know how it goes! I also think illustrating riddles is an excellent way for student to be creative in their learning of inferences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tool! I think that students illustrating their inferences will help you to get a better understanding of how well they comprehend. I'm sure they will love this fun and interactive lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riddles are such a fun way for teaching inferences. Since most riddles are about topics the students are familiar with, they are able to understand how they need to put together the clues with their background knowledge to find the answer. I also sometimes use pictures and the students have to infer what a character is thinking or feeling by putting together the clues from the pictures. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete